Article Published September 24th, 2018
EU citizenship in the shadow of Brexit
22 October 2018
EU27 citizens in the UK still face an uncertain future if Britain leaves the EU and British citizens still face being stripped of their EU citizenship. At this conference we took stock of the situation facing millions of citizens whose lives, hopes and aspirations are caught up in Brexit.
Video summaries from speakers will be available shortly.
- “Will settled status end the uncertainty?”
- “How can the rights of Britons in Europe be protected?”
- “What will replace free movement in the future?”
Brendan Donnelly, Director, The Federal Trust
Sue Ferns, Deputy Secretary General, Prospect
Dr.Roxana Barbulescu, Diversity Commission North
Prof. Dimitrios Giannoulopoulos, Inaugural Chair of Law Goldsmiths, University of London
Tony Simpson, EU Citizenship ECI Campaign
- “How can trust be rebuilt in local communities and nationally?”
- “Will political participation be impacted by Brexit?”
- “ What are the human rights implications of Brexit for citizens?”
Jackie Minor, Former Head, UK Rep. of European Commission
Dr Ruvi Ziegler, University of Reading
Mark Lazarowicz, Citizens Rights’ Project, Scotland
Dr Oliver Garner, European University Institute
Professor Dora Kostakopoulou, University of Warwick
New Europeans campaigns for comprehensive and unilateral, guarantees for EU27 citizens and to defend the EU citizenship rights of British citizens.