24th May 2018
If you have any comments or questions about this policy, feel free to contact us on [email protected], or write to us at: The Data Controller, The Federal Trust for Education and Research, 84 Moorgate, London EC2M 6SQ.
1. Personal data that we process
The following table explains the types of data we collect and the legal basis, under current data protection legislation, on which this data is processed.
|Purpose||Data (key elements)||Basis|
|Enquiring about our organisation and its work||Name, email, message||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to read and store your message so that we can respond in the way that you would expect.|
|Subscribing to email updates about our work||Name, email, job title, organisation||Consent – you have given your active consent.|
|Making a donation||Name, email, address||Legitimate interests – this information is necessary for us to fulfill your intention of donating money and your expectation of receiving a confirmation message.|
|Attending an event organised by us||Name, email, job title, organisation||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to use your data to register your participation at one of our events|
|Website functionality||Website activity collected through cookies||Legitimate interests|
– it is necessary for us to store a small amount of information, usually through cookies, to deliver functionality that you would expect
2. How we use your data
We will only use your data in a manner that is appropriate considering the basis on which that data was collected, as set out in the table above.
For example, we may use your personal information to:
- reply to enquiries you send to us;
- where you have specifically agreed to this, send you marketing communications by email relating to our work which we think may be of interest to you;
- register your attendance at one of our events;
- handle donations or other transactions that you initiate.
Your data is stored securely according to our internal data protection policy.
3. When we share your data
We will not share your data with any third parties for their marketing purposes. We will only share your data in the following circumstances:
- we are using a third party purely for the purposes of processing data on our behalf and we have in place a data processing agreement with that third party that fulfils our legal obligations in relation to the use of third party data processors; or
- we are required by law to share your data.
4. How long we keep your data
We take the principles of data minimisation and removal seriously and have internal policies in place to ensure that we only ever ask for the minimum amount of data for the associated purpose and delete that data promptly once it is no longer required.
You can request at any time to be removed from our mailing list by contacting us on [email protected], or by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our emails. We undertake to processing such requests promptly.
5. How we protect your data
Will shall ensure that your data is processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security:
- We shall ensure that personal data is stored securely using modern software that is kept-up-to-date.
- Access to personal data shall be limited to personnel who need access and appropriate security should be in place to avoid unauthorised sharing of information.
- When personal data is deleted this should be done safely such that the data is irrecoverable.
- Appropriate back-up and disaster recovery solutions shall be in place
6. Rights you have over your data
You have a range of rights over your data, which include the following:
- Where data processing is based on consent, you may revoke this consent at any time and we will make it as easy as possible for you to do this (for example by putting ‘unsubscribe’ links at the bottom of all our marketing emails).
- You have the right to ask for rectification and/or deletion of your information.
- You have the right of access to your information.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner if you feel your rights have been infringed.
A full summary of your legal rights over your data can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website here: https://ico.org.uk/
If you would like to access the rights listed above, or any other legal rights you have over your data under current legislation, please get in touch with us at [email protected].
Please note that relying on some of these rights, such as the right to deleting your data, will make it impossible for us to continue to deliver some services to you. However, where possible we will always try to allow the maximum access to your rights while continuing to deliver as many services to you as possible.
7. Cookies & usage tracking
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is downloaded on to your computer when you visit a website. Cookies are used by many websites and can do a number of things, eg remembering your preferences, recording what you have put in your shopping basket, and counting the number of people looking at a website.