European and Indian perceptions
of the Belt & Road Initiative
The Federal Trust, in collaboration with the Global Policy Institute, is pleased to form a consortium with Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) for the purpose of the EU-India Think Tanks Twinning Initiative.
The research will be based on our respective expertise of the European Union, China, India, and the developments of One Belt One Road (OBOR) or Belt & Road Initiative (BRI). We have chosen to focus our research on exploring cooperation between the EU and India on the very strategic issue of the BRI and assess possible areas for responses to it.
- To describe major Chinese initiatives under BRI in Europe and South Asia.
- To understand the developmental and geopolitical dimensions of the BRI in the EU and for India.
- To understand European and Indian perceptions of the BRI initiative.
- To assess the strategic implications of the BRI developments in geopolitical terms but also commercial ones including transport, energy, security and communications.
- To formulate joint India-EU strategy/ work plan/ projects and areas of possible cooperation.
Major Output (papers)
- The Belt & Road Initiative: European and Indian Perceptions (Phase1)
- Convergence between the BRI and the EU/Indian Connectivity & Investment Plans (Phase 2)
- Based on the output of the two previous papers, exploring key areas of relevance for potential EU-India cooperation towards the BRI (Phase 3)
Dr Karine Lisbonne de Vergeron
Associate Director & Head of Global Policy Institute, Europe Programme, London.
Prof Dr Gulshan Sachdeva
Jean Monnet Chair & Director, UGC Europe Area Studies Programme, Centre for European Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Dr Karine Lisbonne de Vergeron took part in the meeting of the EU-India Think Tank Initiative in Delhi on 13th September with our partner Gulshan Sachdeva from JNU. The project is organised by the EU Delegation in India and funded by the EU Public Diplomacy.
This project received co-funding from the European Commission, Delegation in India through the EU Public Diplomacy Initiative.